Lobster bisque is a classic French soup that is made from a base of lobster shells and vegetables, simmered in a rich, creamy broth. The broth is typically thickened with a roux, which is a mixture of butter and flour, and then seasoned with herbs and spices such as thyme, bay leaves, and paprika.
To make lobster bisque, the process usually starts by simmering the lobster shells with vegetables like onions, celery, and carrots in a stockpot. This creates a flavorful base for the soup. Then, a roux is made by mixing butter and flour in a separate pan, and this is added to the stockpot to thicken the broth. Next, heavy cream, sherry or cognac, and seasonings are added, and the bisque is simmered until it is thick and creamy. Finally, chunks of cooked lobster meat are added to the bisque before serving.
Lobster bisque is often served as an appetizer or a main course and often garnished with fresh parsley or chives. It can also be garnished with a dollop of crème fraiche or sour cream. It is considered a delicacy and is often paired with white wine.
Lobster Bisque Soup Recipe
Here is a recipe for classic Lobster Bisque Soup:
- 2 (1 1/2-pound) live lobsters
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups fish or chicken stock
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1/4 cup sherry
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Chopped fresh parsley or chives, for garnish (optional)
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add the lobsters and cook for 8-10 minutes or until they turn bright red. Remove the lobsters from the water and let them cool.
- Remove the meat from the lobsters, chop it into small pieces and set aside. Reserve the shells.
- Melt the butter in a large stockpot over medium heat. Add the onion, celery, carrot, and garlic and sauté for 5 minutes or until the vegetables are softened.
- Stir in the flour and cook for 1-2 minutes, or until the mixture turns a light golden brown.
- Gradually stir in the stock, then add the lobster shells and bring the mixture to a simmer. Cook for 20 minutes or until the flavors have melded together.
- Remove the shells and strain the broth through a fine-mesh sieve. Return the broth to the pot and stir in the cream and sherry. Bring the mixture to a simmer and cook for 5 minutes or until the bisque is thickened.
- Season the bisque with salt and pepper to taste. Stir in the cooked lobster meat and heat through.
- Ladle the bisque into bowls and garnish with chopped parsley or chives, if desired.
Note: The bisque can be made ahead of time and reheated before serving.
This recipe requires some skill and time, but the result is a delicious, creamy and flavorful lobster bisque that is perfect for a special occasion or for a cozy dinner at home.
- Sweet and Tangy Delight: Homemade Strawberry Vinaigrette Recipe
- Indulge Your Sweet Tooth with a Delectable Chocolate Hummus Recipe
- Creative and Delicious Whole Cauliflower Recipes
- Whipped Ricotta Recipe: Elevate Your Culinary Creations
- Delightful Sweet Potato Dessert Recipes to Satisfy Your Sweet Tooth
- Crisp and Flavorful: A Homemade Cucumber Kimchi Recipe
- Energize your day with a delicious matcha smoothie
- 5 Delicious Instant Pot Hamburger Recipes for Quick and Easy Meals
- Vibrant and Delicious: Red Cabbage Slaw Recipe
- Delectable Mushroom Stuffing Recipe: Elevate Your Holiday Feast
- Tangy Delight: Homemade Pickled Carrots Recipe
- Delicious Treat: Lemon Pepper Salmon Recipe
- Delicious okra soup recipe – a taste of West African cuisine Okra
- Delightful German Cookie Recipes: A Taste of Tradition
- Delicious lemon cupcakes: a delicious recipe for citrus lovers
- Delicious Vegan Low-Carb Recipes for a Healthy Lifestyle
- A Culinary Joy: Honeynut Squash Recipe
- Arugula Recipes: A Culinary Experience with the Peppery Green
- Is Keto Diet Good for Diabetics?
- Best Keto Diet Recipes For Weight Loss
- The Truth About Ancient Juice Activates 24/7 Fat-Burning Revealed
- Peanut Butter Balls Recipe (2023)
- Lobster Bisque Soup Recipe (2023)
- Chia Seed Pudding Recipe (2023)
- Best High Fat Food for keto Diet (2023)