Hummus, the beloved Middle Eastern dip, has long been celebrated for its savory flavors and versatility. But what if we told you that you could take this classic dish to a whole new level of deliciousness by adding a sweet twist? Enter chocolate hummus, a delightful and unexpected treat that combines the creamy goodness of traditional hummus with the rich, velvety taste of chocolate. Whether you’re a fan of traditional hummus or a chocolate lover looking for a unique dessert, this chocolate hummus recipe is sure to satisfy your cravings.
For this heavenly chocolate hummus, you’ll need the following ingredients:
- 1 can (15 ounces) of chickpeas (garbanzo beans), drained and rinsed
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/4 cup maple syrup or honey (adjust to taste)
- 1/4 cup almond butter or any nut butter of your choice
- 2 tablespoons of coconut oil or extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- A pinch of salt
- Optional toppings: chocolate chips, chopped nuts, fresh berries, or shredded coconut
- Prepare the Chickpeas: Start by draining and rinsing the chickpeas thoroughly under cold water. Removing the outer skins of the chickpeas can help make your chocolate hummus smoother, but it’s optional.
- Blend the Ingredients: In a food processor, combine the chickpeas, cocoa powder, maple syrup or honey, almond butter, coconut oil or olive oil, vanilla extract, and a pinch of salt. Blend until the mixture is smooth and creamy, scraping down the sides of the bowl as needed.
- Taste and Adjust: Taste your chocolate hummus and adjust the sweetness to your liking. You can add more maple syrup or honey if you prefer it sweeter.
- Serve: Transfer the chocolate hummus to a serving bowl. You can serve it immediately or refrigerate it for a couple of hours to let the flavors meld together and to cool it down for a refreshing treat.
- Garnish: Before serving, you can get creative with toppings. Sprinkle some chocolate chips, chopped nuts, fresh berries, or shredded coconut on top for added texture and flavor.
- Dipping Options: Chocolate hummus is incredibly versatile. It can be enjoyed with a variety of dippers such as fruit slices (apples, strawberries, and bananas work great), pretzels, graham crackers, or even as a spread on toast.
Chocolate hummus is a delightful fusion of the traditional Middle Eastern dip and the sweet pleasure of chocolate. It’s a healthier alternative to many dessert dips and spreads, packed with protein and fiber from chickpeas and loaded with chocolatey goodness. Whether you serve it as a unique dessert at your next gathering or enjoy it as a snack, this chocolate hummus recipe is bound to become a household favorite. Give it a try, and let your taste buds savor the harmonious blend of flavors in every creamy, chocolaty bite.
Q1: What is chocolate hummus?
Chocolate hummus is a sweet variation of traditional hummus. It combines chickpeas (garbanzo beans) with cocoa powder, sweeteners like maple syrup or honey, nut butter, and other flavorings to create a creamy, chocolate-flavored dip or spread.
Q2: Is chocolate hummus healthy?
Chocolate hummus can be a healthier alternative to many dessert spreads and dips. It’s a good source of protein and fiber from chickpeas and typically contains less sugar and unhealthy fats than traditional chocolate spreads. However, the healthiness can vary depending on the ingredients you use, so it’s essential to choose quality ingredients and consume it in moderation.
Q3: Can I customize the sweetness of chocolate hummus?
Yes, you can adjust the sweetness of chocolate hummus to your preference. Start with the recommended amount of sweetener (maple syrup or honey) in the recipe and then add more if needed. Taste the mixture as you go to achieve your desired level of sweetness.
Q4: What can I use as dippers for chocolate hummus?
Chocolate hummus pairs well with a variety of dippers. You can enjoy it with fruit slices such as apples, strawberries, and bananas. Other excellent options include pretzels, graham crackers, cookies, and even as a spread on toast or pancakes.
Q5: How should I store chocolate hummus?
To store chocolate hummus, place it in an airtight container and refrigerate it. It will stay fresh for up to one week in the refrigerator. Before serving, you may want to let it sit at room temperature for a few minutes to make it easier to dip.
Q6: Can I freeze chocolate hummus?
Yes, you can freeze chocolate hummus for longer storage. Place it in an airtight container or freezer-safe bag, leaving some room for expansion. It can be stored in the freezer for up to three months. Thaw it in the refrigerator before using, and give it a good stir before serving.
Q7: Are there any variations of chocolate hummus I can try?
Absolutely! You can get creative with chocolate hummus by experimenting with different ingredients. Some popular variations include adding a pinch of cinnamon for a Mexican chocolate twist or incorporating a hint of orange zest for a citrusy flavor. You can also try using different nut butters or alternative sweeteners like agave nectar or date syrup for unique tastes.
Q8: Is chocolate hummus suitable for people with dietary restrictions?
Chocolate hummus can be adapted to fit various dietary preferences. For example, you can make it vegan by using plant-based sweeteners and nut butter. It can also be gluten-free, depending on the dippers you choose. Always check the ingredient labels of your chosen products to ensure they align with your dietary restrictions.