When it comes to refreshing and colorful side dishes, few can rival the appeal of red cabbage slaw. This crisp and crunchy salad not only bursts with vibrant hues but also packs a punch of flavor and nutrition. Whether you’re looking for a picnic side, a topping for tacos, or a healthy snack, this red cabbage slaw recipe is a fantastic choice. In this article, we’ll walk you through the steps to creating this delightful dish and explore some of the health benefits it offers.
For the cabbage salad:
- 1 small red cabbage (about 2 pounds)
- 2 large carrots
- 1 red onion
- 1/2 cup fresh coriander leaves, chopped
- 1/2 cup sliced green onions
- 1/4 cup toasted sesame seeds (optional, for decoration)
For the dressing:
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons honey (or maple syrup for a vegan version)
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- Prepare the cabbage: First remove the tough outer leaves from the red cabbage and then cut it in half. Cut out the stalk and finely chop the cabbage with a sharp knife or mandoline. Place the shredded cabbage in a large mixing bowl.
- Grate carrots: Peel the carrots and grate them using a kitchen grater or a food processor with a grating attachment. Add the grated carrots to the cabbage in the bowl.
- Cut the onion: Peel the red onion and cut it into thin slices. You can use a mandoline slicer or a sharp knife. Add the sliced onions to the bowl with the cabbage and carrots.
- Add fresh herbs: Chop fresh coriander leaves and spring onions and then add them to the bowl with the other vegetables. These herbs add a touch of fresh flavor and color to the salad.
- Prepare the dressing: In a separate bowl, stir together the mayonnaise, Dijon mustard, honey (or maple syrup), apple cider vinegar, olive oil, salt and pepper. Adjust seasonings to taste. The dressing should have a perfect balance of sweet, spicy and creamy.
- Combine and mix: Pour the dressing over the shredded cabbage, carrots, onions and herbs. Using tongs or clean hands, mix everything together until the vegetables are well coated with the dressing. Make sure you coat it evenly to get a balanced flavor in every bite.
- Cool and serve: Cover the bowl with plastic wrap or a lid and place the red cabbage salad in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes before serving. This allows the flavors to mingle and cools the salad, making it even more refreshing.
- Garnish and Enjoy: Just before serving, sprinkle toasted sesame seeds on top for a nutty crunch and an extra layer of flavor.
Health Benefits of Red Cabbage Slaw:
- Nutrient Rich: Red cabbage is packed with vitamins, including vitamins C and K, as well as essential minerals like potassium and manganese. Carrots also provide a portion of vitamin A and fiber.
- Antioxidant Powerhouse: The bright colors of red cabbage and carrots indicate the presence of antioxidants that help protect cells from free radical damage.
- Low Calorie: Red cabbage salad is a low-calorie dish that can be a great addition to a weight-conscious diet. It is also suitable for those who want to maintain their weight or lose weight.
- Digestive Health: The fiber in red cabbage and carrots promotes healthy digestion and can help prevent constipation.
- Versatile and delicious: This salad can be used in many ways, from topping sandwiches and burgers to being a side dish at picnics and barbecues.
Red cabbage salad is more than just a side dish; It is a colorful and nutritious addition to your diet. With its blend of flavors and vibrant appearance, it’s sure to be a hit at your next gathering.Additionally, it is easy to prepare and offers numerous health benefits, making it a beneficial option for your taste buds and well-being. So grab your ingredients and start chopping – a delicious red cabbage salad awaits you!
1. What is red cabbage slaw?
Red cabbage slaw is a salad made primarily from shredded red cabbage, often combined with other vegetables like carrots and onions. It’s typically dressed with a flavorful sauce, such as a vinaigrette or creamy dressing.
2. Can I use green cabbage instead of red cabbage for slaw?
Yes, you can use green cabbage as a substitute for red cabbage in slaw recipes. Green cabbage has a milder flavor and slightly different texture, but it can still create a delicious slaw.
3. How do I make red cabbage slaw vegan?
To make red cabbage slaw vegan, simply replace non-vegan ingredients like mayonnaise with vegan alternatives. Use vegan mayonnaise or a plant-based yogurt to create the creamy dressing. Also, use maple syrup instead of honey for sweetness.
4. How long can I store red cabbage slaw in the refrigerator?
Red cabbage slaw can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3-4 days. It’s best when eaten fresh, but it will remain safe to eat within this time frame.
5. Can I make red cabbage slaw in advance for a party or event?
Yes, you can prepare red cabbage slaw in advance for a party or event. However, it’s a good idea to dress the slaw shortly before serving to keep it crisp. Store the dressing and slaw separately, then toss them together just before your guests arrive.
6. What are some variations I can try with red cabbage slaw?
Red cabbage slaw is versatile, and you can customize it to your liking. Some variations include adding fruits like apples or raisins for sweetness, using different herbs like parsley or mint for flavor, or incorporating nuts like almonds or pecans for extra crunch.